Tuesday, September 20, 2011

My Ministry




photo by Existence Church



     I finished the dramatic monologue that preceded the Sunday morning sermon and bowed my head, feeling exhilarated by the congregation's emotional response. After the service, the compliments made me smile with a sense of purpose and fulfillment.
     Drama was my passion. 

     After years of doing mundane volunteer work at church, I'd finally found a ministry that fit like a glove. Our fledgling drama ministry needed me for main character parts and I reveled in the position of primary actress. However, other talented Christians soon signed up. A member from the Screen Actors Guild joined the fellowship and became a major player, and a woman with a Bachelor's degree in Dramatic Arts took over as Director. When the next drama meeting was scheduled, twenty people showed up.
     A jealousy I didn't know I possessed ate my insides. We don't have enough parts for all these people! I thought. How could I share my ministry with others?
     Then the Lord brought some verses about servanthood to my attention. “I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow (I Cor. 3:6-7).” It didn't matter if spiritual truth came through me or another player because we were merely instruments in God's service. He alone caused the growth. Acting was my strength, but I still needed to make room for others who wanted to serve with the same talent. “What, after all, is Apollos? And what is Paul? Only servants, through whom you came to believe (I Cor. 3:5).” A ministry's purpose is to glorify the Lord, so any praise I received was misplaced.
     When our director next handed out acting parts, I decided to let go of my ownership to allow others a place of service. I had to remember that we were a body made up of many members and each one has gifts to contribute.
     And to God be the glory.

ed2go-234x60 Banner

No comments:

Post a Comment